Kristen Crowley: Major bridge and tunnel closures this weekend
The HRBT I-64 East and the James River Bridge 17 South are closed to all traffic.
The only route to the Southside from the Peninsula will be I-664 Southbound over the Monitor Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel I-664 Southbound.
Once you cross the M&M I-664 South, you have three options towards the Beach, Chesapeake, and Norfolk. Keep in mind all of these routes take you across a major Bridge or Tunnel:
1) Western Freeway towards Norfolk, through the Midtown Tunnel, then follow Brambleton to 264 East.
2) 264 East up through the Downtown Tunnel and over the Berkley Bridge continuing to the Beach
3) 664 South to 64 West, over the High Rise Bridge and then 264 East towards Virginia Beach
Everything will reopen on Monday morning by 5:00 a.m.
Download Our Beat The Traffic app to plan your route and watch the LED VDOT signs for delays and updates.
- Cargo ship runs aground in high winds off Virginia Beach
- UPDATE: Two children dead after multi-vehicle crash in Sandbridge
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- VIDEO: Why it's not a good idea to take selfies with moving trains