Train hits tractor trailer at Suffolk rail crossing
Update 4:33 p.m.– The accident has been cleared and affected roadways have reopened.
Suffolk, Va. – A train struck and sheared off the back end of a tractor trailer at a rail crossing in Suffolk this morning.
Suffolk police say they received the first emergency call about the accident at the Lake Cohoon Road and Lake Meade Drive crossing at 11:01 am.
The tractor trailer was empty, and the train did not derail as a result of the accident.
There were no injuries reported by either the driver of the tractor trailer or personnel on the Norfolk Southern train.
Lake Kilby Road has been closed between Indian Trail Road and Lake Cohoon Road. A detour will be in place on Indian Trail Road to Lake Cohoon Road on one side of the railroad tracks, and there will also be a detour in place on Lake Kilby Road to Lake Cohoon Road on the other side of the railroad track.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.Submit Your Photo
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach