Train hits tractor trailer at Suffolk rail crossing
Update 4:33 p.m.– The accident has been cleared and affected roadways have reopened.
Suffolk, Va. – A train struck and sheared off the back end of a tractor trailer at a rail crossing in Suffolk this morning.
Suffolk police say they received the first emergency call about the accident at the Lake Cohoon Road and Lake Meade Drive crossing at 11:01 am.
The tractor trailer was empty, and the train did not derail as a result of the accident.
There were no injuries reported by either the driver of the tractor trailer or personnel on the Norfolk Southern train.
Lake Kilby Road has been closed between Indian Trail Road and Lake Cohoon Road. A detour will be in place on Indian Trail Road to Lake Cohoon Road on one side of the railroad tracks, and there will also be a detour in place on Lake Kilby Road to Lake Cohoon Road on the other side of the railroad track.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.Submit Your Photo
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million
- Owner of Chesapeake nail salon shot during robbery