Chesapeake man killed in motorcycle accident at entrance to HRBT
A Chesapeake man was killed early Saturday morning after losing control of his motorcycle while entering the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel.
According to Virginia State Police, the accident occurred at approximately 12:38 am on Interstate 64 eastbound, east of Mallory Street at the HRBT.
31-year-old Jermaine Spain was driving a 2001 Kawasaki motorcycle in a group of several vehicles headed east bound when he began to enter the HRBT at a high rate of speed.
Spain lost control of the motorcycle, struck the metal railing, and was ejected from the bike.
A 2005 Chrysler 300 driven by Leonard Johnson was unable to stop and struck Mr. Spain after he was ejected. Other vehicles who were following attempted to avoid the incident causing a separate accident with minor injuries.
State Police say Mr. Spain was traveling at a high rate of speed, he was wearing an approved helmet and alcohol was a factor.
There are no charges pending at this time.
- Update: Police officer kills man at Norfolk Wells Fargo; deceased suspect identified
- Mom forces bullying daughter to don thrift store threads
- Man shot and killed after pinning James City County police officer between cars
- At least 24 killed in mammoth tornado; more bodies expected
- Virginia Beach man charged with wife's murder