View the Baby Braxton Task Force letter
By Mike Mather, NewsChannel 3
The Virginia Beach city manager has named a task force to fix the city’s troubled child-welfare agency.
This is in response to NewsChannel 3’s investigation into baby Braxton, and how social workers repeatedly missed signs of the awful abuse inflicted by his second foster mother.
She was later convicted of manslaughter. Our investigation into the shortcomings of child-welfare led to a state review. The state issued a stinging report calling for major changes in the agency. Five of the seven task-force members are city employees.
They must develop a plan to fix the agency, and that plan will be reviewed by independent experts.
The state says this must be done by September 1.
- UPDATE: Two girls die after crash in Sandbridge, five others hospitalized
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- The real story behind the ‘train selfie’ and the man kicked in head by ‘conductor’