(Updated) Lawn mowed? We’ve got a soaker on the way
We’ve got a mid-week soaker headed our way, with the potential to bring us several inches of rain. And it’s much-needed rain. Despite our storms this weekend (and the past few weekends for that matter), we still have a pretty significant yearly rainfall deficit in Hampton Roads. We’re more than four inches below normal for 2012.
A few storms may develop as a cold front approaches the region on Tuesday night. But the big rainmaker will appear on Wednesday as a storm system develops along that front to our south and moves up I-95.
That storm system will tap into moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and spread it in our direction. Forecast models are hinting that we could see several inches of rain by Thursday morning. In fact, VIPIRcast has been getting a little more aggressive with rainfall totals in the last few computer forecast model runs.
As the storm system intensifies on Wednesday afternoon/evening we could see some severe weather develop. The biggest threats will be from strong straight-line winds, heavy downpours (causing some localized flooding) and hail.
Bottom line: we’ve got a good dose of rain on the way. It probably won’t erase our four-inch rainfall deficit, but it should take a big bite out of it. I hope you’ve got your lawn mowed!
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Watch this: Massive Milwaukee highway pileup captured on video
- Suffolk mom targeted by online child porn scam
- Couple calls 911 after they don't get hash brown order at McDonald's