USS New York’s executive officer removed from job by Navy for misconduct
NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — The executive officer of the USS New York has been removed from the job for misconduct.
The Navy said Thursday that Cmdr. John Pethel was temporarily reassigned to the staff of Naval Surface Force Atlantic. The Navy said the relief occurred in November during an investigation into allegations that Pethel had an unduly familiar relationship with a female member of the ship’s crew.
Pethel received nonjudicial punishment for fraternization on Wednesday.
The USS New York is a Norfolk-based amphibious transport dock. Pethel had been the ship’s executive officer since January.
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time
- Family, friends gather to remember two girls killed in Ahoskie fire
- Father and son among three arrested in Kitty Hawk drug investigation
- Elizabeth City's "Operation Double Down" cracks down on illegal drug sales